On June 25th, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) designated the Bay Ridge Parkway – Doctors’ Row Historic District, the first in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Bay Ridge. It is a block of 54 row houses on Bay Ridge Parkway between 4th and 5th Avenues constructed between 1906 and 1913. Developed primarily by one builder using only two architects, the block was developed with a cohesive appearance overall, predominantly employing the Renaissance Revival style with some elements of the Colonial Revival style. While subtle variations exist between each row of houses, the block is architecturally very consistent. The buildings are all two stories tall with a basement and are united by a continuous cornice line, which has been retained by all of the houses. The block still looks very much as it did in the first decade of the 20th century, with the majority of the houses either intact or with minor alterations. In addition to its aesthetic charm, the block is known for the concentration of medical professionals who have lived and worked there historically and currently, earning it the moniker of Doctors’ Row.
The Bay Ridge Parkway – Doctors’ Row Historic District is a distinguished example of its largely intact early-20th century architecture and historically significant as a “doctors’ row.” Photo: NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission